Thursday, October 17, 2013

Gophers Hope To Tame The Wildcats



Even though they were ranked as high as #16 in the USA Today poll, Northwestern doesn't seem to strike fear into the hearts of Gopher fans.

"Sure, they have been ranked, but what does that mean," said Chad Wilson. "They are still 0-2 in the B1G just like us." Although this is a true statement, I'm not sure I can agree with Chad.

It's true, on paper, both teams are 0-2 in the B1G, but it's the way the teams have lost that make a difference to me.


Northwestern has lost to surprise, in some eyes, powerhouse Ohio St and newley ranked WI. And while it's true, the Gophers haven't lost to cupcakes (@Mich, IA), they haven't showed much fight in either game.

For the first time, in what feels like forever, the U of M landed a very nice homecoming oppenent when Iowa came to town. I was on campus that day and the place was buzzing. That was until the game actuall started.

The Gophers didn't taste defeat by much, but it felt like the blow out of the century to the people around me. 

"There was no fight in our team tonight," said April. "Seemed like they didn't want Floyd as much as Iowa." I couldn't agree more with this.

Now I know we are getting a little of topic and should be focusing a little more on the Wildcats, but I just wanted to point out the rollercoaster of emotions that Gopher fans are feeling. 

Chad thinks we will taste victory this week, while April thinks the team has no fight. I'm not sure who is right, but it's easy to see both sides.

Northwestern should win this game. I hate to say it, but they should. It's at home, they have a better team and people won't be sick because they won't have peanuts.

I hate to say it, but the Gophers could be rolling into The Bank next week sitting at 0-3 and facing a very scary (get it, it's close to Halloween) match-up that weekend against the Huskers.  

On the bright side, you will probably see some good costumes; because I don't think people will want to show their face at the game.

Hope I'm wrong.

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment